Research

If you can add any data to the Davies family tree please feel free to contact me, if you think you may be related directly or by marriage then please share the information, I can offer the full family tree details, with research notes and sources, to anyone who is researching trees that may join with mine.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Grist branch

I do not have much information about my mother or her family, apart from my notoriously bad memory!

I knew that they lived mostly in the Gateshead area of County Durham, but could find no BMD records of any Grists there, in the end I did find the marriage of Rosemary Grist to Raymond Wilson on the Durham County Archives site. The names and date matched with my memory so I ordered a copy, which only took 3 days to arrive in Germany. From the County records I also found a possible death for Raymond about 12 years later and the only possible child is listed as Melissa Anne Wilson, though I am uncertain if these 2 facts are the correct family.

From the marriage certificate I got Rosemarys fathers name Bertie Grist, similar to the Bertrum or Bertram I thought he was. I found him on the 1901 census for Gateshead age 2 years, which tied in with my memory of him retiring from work in the early 1960's.

I found from the census return his 2 brothers Thomas H. and John E. and his parents Tom Hewson Grist and Margaret. Tom Hewson Grist was born in Wigton, Cumbria and in the 1881 census the family is shown as living at 1 New Street Wigton, his parent are Thomas Grist from Bradford, Wiltshire and Jane from Wigton.

From one lucky find I jumped back3 generations and added 9 more people.

No comments: